Deciding to apply to University in a different country can be a really daunting prospect, but there are some fantastic opportunities out there if you're willing to strive for them, and if you're willing to take up that challenge, as nearly 15% of students studying at UK universities are international.

When applying for university, for the majority of international students, it is exactly the same system as for home students. You decide on your course, you decide on your university. You think about your personal statement, and you apply via UCAS. You can use the other sections of this book to see how to pick a course, how to pick a university, how to write your personal statement, how to get references if your school isn't used to applying through UCAS, and what you can do if you've been out of school for a period of time.

You'll still need to abide by the deadlines, the October deadline for medicine, veterinary, Oxford, and Cambridge, and the January deadline for everything else, but because you are an international student, you are very welcome by universities because they can charge you more, which means they are much more likely to be lenient on deadlines than they are to home students.

You are going to need to think carefully about funding. There are going to be some funding requirements. If you need to apply for a visa. You need to think about whether you're going to qualify for a visa, whether you're going to be able to show that you're proficient in the English language. There are some health considerations that the government takes into account, but because universities really want international students, your chosen universities international students' office is really going to be set up to help you. So if there's somewhere you're applying and you need a bit of help, the universities are going to be a brilliant place to reach out to.

"Studying abroad isn't just an extraordinary chance to gain from a number of the best educators, it is also an opening to live in another country and learn more about it by taking an interest in regular activities. Having the chancre to apply and study as an international student is an opportunity I would always take because it would definitely be an experience I would never forget. In any case, before applying as an international student, you would require a student visa to get into the United Kingdom which is typically issued by the UK Home Office."

"As an international student, the application process can be overpowering while applying to schools as we pass through extra challenges and stress factors past that of our U.K. associates. This is mostly because the majority of us might come from countries where mail services are costly, unreliable and slow. Application charges might need to be paid in this style which may be inaccessible to us and our relatives in our nations. Also, coming from a different educational system as an international candidate, we regularly need to independently explore school sites, unfamiliar vocabulary and terms on applications, and different admissions materials. With this, we need to improve our English language and demonstrate it."

"We can only exhibit our English language capacity by completing an English language course. However, if you are a citizen of a country that is amongst the English Speaking Commonwealth, for example, Jamaica, it is easier for you to do your own ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) at a private college if you wish to study in the UK in certain immigration classifications. IELTS level 7 is the Standard English Language section necessity for most advanced education courses in the UK. But for me, through my research, I found some ways which helped me improve my language skills while applying as an international student and these might be useful for you too. They are:

(1) Signing up for an online course equipped towards not only English but your necessities too.

(2) Ask some brilliant students, lecturers or professors to suggest great learning materials that you could likewise work with freely.

(3) If you have no one to ask, do not feel disappointed as there are books that deal particularly with language for academic reasons. Check the internet for a list of them as they may really be of value.

(4) I additionally Watch TV programs and movies (mostly English) to assist improve my spoken English too.

(5) Lastly, I made the internet my best friend by making use of free resources online, specifically magazines, newspapers, and articles. These truly helped me increase my language skills without costing a penny.

There is one thing most of us forget to do which I almost forgot too and this is contacting the university or college of our choice. Contacting them would make them inform you on whatever they require from you to determine that you are academically qualified to learn at their university or college. Among other necessities, you as well have to show your school that you have sufficient money to help yourself while learning at their school and you likewise need to have medical insurance in UK as the charge of health care with no insurance can be a heavy bill. Applying as an international student might be a bit stressful due to all the processes we have to follow but at the end of it all, it is worth the stress."


If you want to apply to study in the UK, you're going to need a tier 4 (general) student visa, and as part of this you're going to need to show that you're proficient in the English language.

This is done by Trinity College, London if you're in the UK, or for the UK and the rest of the world it is done by the IELTS. The SELT is the Secure English Language Test, and this is a requirement for your tier 4 (general) student visa.

Trinity College have several locations across the UK. You need to book online. There is going to be a speaking and listening, a conversation part of the test, and then there is going to be a reading and a writing part of to the test as well.

The IELTS needs to do that at an academic level, and there is quite a long test for this. There are four components: listening, which is 30 minutes, reading which is 60 minutes, writing, which is 60 minutes, and all of these are together. You do them all at once and you're not allowed a break in between them. The speaking, the listening, the conversation part is between 10 and 15 minutes, and you can do this a week either side of your written test. For both of these you're going to need a lot of identification when you turn up to take the test: Your passport or your identity badge, and they're going to use other methods to confirm your identity.


Getting a visa is an important part of coming to the UK to study. If you want to come for less than six months, then you can get a short-term visa. But if you want to study for an undergraduate degree, which is more than six months, then you're going to need a Tier 4 (general) student visa.

Your university will be your Tier 4 sponsor, and when they accept you in the course, then they'll give you all of the course details that you need to fill in, and your Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies, your CAS, which you'll need to put on your visa application form. For degree-level courses, this visa can be up to five years. There are some exceptions on the time limit, being courses which are over five years. For example, medicine, veterinary medicine, architecture, some law courses, and some post-graduate courses.

The home office has fixed values to show how much money they expect you to have to be able to support yourself. You're expected to be able to pay all of your fees, and then you're expected to be able to provide yourself with £1,265 each month while you're studying in the UK. Your course may not be the entire year, it may only be nine months of the year. So you'd have to have that £1,265 times the nine months you were studying, and then the other months you'd be at home. You're going to have to show proof that you have financial support when you are applying for your visa.

You're going to need to prove that you're proficient within the English language by completing a SELT course at a certified centre, and any criminal convictions are going to have to be disclosed on your visa application form. There is a charge for applying for your visa, and there is no guarantee that the home office will actually grant you a Tier 4 visa. You're going to have to collect evidence, provide lots and lots of documents to support all of the sections on the visa and all of the things that you've stated in your application. However, if you do manage to get your hands on one of those visas, it is going to be a fantastic opportunity for you to come and study in the UK.

Immigration healthcare surcharge (IHS) and the NHS 

When you are applying for your visa you’ll be required to pay the HIS, once you have paid this and your visa has been granted you’ll be legal entitled to use the healthcare provided by the NHS. This means healthcare will be free at the point of use, there are a few services that still required a minimal payment such as medical prescriptions, dental treatments and eye tests.

TB testing

Tuberculosis (TB) is a bacterial infection that predominately affects the lungs and is spread by coughs and sneezes. This can be fatal but can be easily treated by a course of antibiotics. Due an extensive vaccination program today there are very few causes of TB in the UK. To prevent a resurgence of infection student form countries with high infection rates need to prove they are free from infection, this test involves a phlegm sample and a chest x-ray.

Students from the following countries will need a TB test at a Home Office approved centre; Afghanistan; Algeria; Angola; Armenia; Azerbaijan; Bangladesh; Belarus; Benin; Bhutan; Bolivia; Botswana; Brunei; Burma; Burkina Faso; Burundi; Cambodia; Cape Verde; Central African Republic; Chad; Cameroon; China; Congo; Côte d’Ivoire; Democratic Republic of the Congo; Djibouti; Dominican Republic; East Timor; Ecuador; Equatorial Guinea; Eritrea; Ethiopia; Gabon; Gambia; Georgia; Ghana; Guatemala; Guinea; Guinea Bissau ; Guyana; Haiti; Hong Kong; India; Indonesia; Iraq; Kazakhstan; Kenya; Kiribati; Kyrgyzstan; Laos; Lesotho; Liberia; Macau; Madagascar; Malawi; Malaysia; Mali; Marshall Islands; Mauritania; Micronesia; Moldova; Mongolia; Morocco; Mozambique; Namibia; Nepal; Niger; Nigeria; North Korea; Pakistan; Palau; Papua New Guinea; Panama; Paraguay; Peru; Philippines; Russia; Rwanda; São Tomé and Principe; Senegal; Sierra Leone; Solomon Islands; Somalia; South Africa; South Korea; South Sudan; Sri Lanka; Sudan; Suriname; Swaziland; Tajikistan; Tanzania; Togo; Thailand; Turkmenistan; Tuvalu; Uganda; Ukraine; Uzbekistan; Vanuatu; Vietnam; Zambia; Zimbabwe

Student loans

Students from the EU can apply for a student loan as if they were UK students. Students from outside the EU and UK will have to show they can the finances to self-fund for the duration of their studies. 


At the moment Brexit has no change to the status of international students. The UK will leave Europe on the 29th March 2019, the negotiations to student’s status has yet to be resolved.