Eduqas B - GCSE - Geography - Desertification
Below is everything the examiners think you know, if you're not sure of something click on the link to watch my YouTube video explanation. For a copy of these you can print off, get the FREE revision guide I wrote for you.
• I can describe the location and distribution of environments vulnerable to desertification
• I can describe how this pattern is changing over time
• I can explain how desertification is related to the global circulation of the atmosphere and the dominance of high pressure systems.
• I can explain how changing climatic patterns over a long time has led to unreliable rainfall patterns and higher rates of evapotranspiration in hot semi-arid regions.
• I can explain how changing patterns of vegetation can lead to desertification
• I can explain how evapotranspiration can lead to desertification
• I can explain how micro-climates can lead to desertification
• I can explain how human activity can lead to drought including: Unsustainable use of water resources, Over-grazing, Poor land management, Use of firewood
• I can give the different viewpoints values and attitudes of stakeholders in regions which are vulnerable to desertification
• I can give examples of a range of strategies used by NGOs (Non-governmental organisations) working at a local level with communities including: Drip irrigation, Magic stones,Use of drought tolerant crops
• I can give examples of international strategies aimed at reducing the spread of areas experiencing desertification